Peter Ellis appeal: treatment of tikanga Māori within our legal system
Māori Land Court COVID-19 Level 4 protocol
Announcement of changes for Māori land ratings
Public submissions are now open for Te Ture Whenua Māori Amendment Bill
Introduction of Bill to amend Te Ture Whenua Māori Act 1993
While our courts and justice systems in Aotearoa is considered an essential service there has been some disruption to everyday court practices.
The Chief Judge of the Māori Land Court has recently issued a Level 4 protocol document in relation to Māori Land Court proceedings.
- This protocol has been set in light of the announcement made by the Prime Minister that, as at 11:59pm on 25 March 2020, New Zealand will move to Level 4 of the Covid-19 Alert System.
- At Level 4 of the Alert System, people are instructed to stay at home and travel is strictly limited.
- As a result of this announcement all currently scheduled Māori Land Court hearings and other events are adjourned while the country is at Level 4. All hearings and other events will be rescheduled once we have ceased to be at Level 4.
- If there is any application for urgent injunctive or other relief filed with the Court during this period, it is to be directed to me to address.
- In terms of any filing with the Māori Land Court during this period, the following rules shall apply:
- During the continuation of the Level 4 alert all filing of court documents is to be electronic. If a party does not have the ability to file electronically, mail will still be periodically checked. Because of hygiene requirements there will however be a delay in processing documents received by mail.
- No documents will be received for filing in person at court registries.
- For documents filed during the continuation of the Level 4 alert (whether electronically or by mail), pursuant to the provisions of s 24 of the Epidemic Preparedness Act 2006, the payment of filing fees is hereby waived.
- All electronic filing is to be to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All filing by mail to this address:
Māori Land Court, DX: SX 11203, Wellington
Or to: Māori Land Court, Level 7, 141 The Terrace, Wellington 6011
- If any party wishes to contact the Court regarding an urgent matter, that is also the address to use.
Issued via Chief Judge Wilson Isaac