The New Zealand border is currently closed to most travellers. New Zealand citizens and permanent resident visa holders are still able to travel to New Zealand as are Australian citizens and permanent residents who are ordinarily resident in New Zealand.
New Zealand resident visa holders who entered New Zealand as the holder of a resident visa or were granted a resident visa in New Zealand can also travel to New Zealand. On the other hand, New Zealand resident visa holders whose resident visa was granted while they were outside of New Zealand and who have not yet travelled to New Zealand on that visa are unfortunately subject to the current travel restrictions.
Despite the above, people are now able to contact Immigration New Zealand for an exception to the border closure. Consideration will only be made for people with exceptional circumstances who:
- Are of good health and character.
- Genuinely intend to meet the conditions of their visa.
- Have sufficient funds or sponsorship.
- Have a critical purpose for travelling to New Zealand as set out below:
- Essential health workers and their partners and children.
- Other essential workers and their partners and children.
- Citizens of Samoa and Tonga making essential travel to New Zealand.
- People who have humanitarian reasons for travel to New Zealand.
- Partners, dependent children and legal guardians of, and who are travelling with:
- New Zealand citizens or permanent resident visa holders.
- New Zealand resident visa holders whose resident visa was granted in New Zealand.
- New Zealand resident visa holders who are travelling to New Zealand for a second or subsequent time.
- Visitor, work and student visa holders who are ordinarily resident in New Zealand and who are the partner or dependent child of a work or student visa holder who is in New Zealand.
If you feel that you are eligible to travel to New Zealand by meeting one of the exceptional circumstances set out above, you are now able to make a request to Immigration New Zealand to be granted a visa or a variation of conditions to travel to New Zealand.
This applies if you already have a visa, if you have submitted an application for a visa, or if you do not have a visa. Your request will be assessed by an immigration officer. If satisfied that you meet the criteria, you will then be contacted by Immigration New Zealand in regards to the next steps.
Should you require assistance making a request for a visa or a variation of conditions, please contact Sonja Hucker. Our team are currently working from home and are contactable digitally, over email, the phone and through ZOOM.